RE: Behavior of Manipulate

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg85628] RE: [mg85619] Behavior of Manipulate
  • From: ?iso-8859-2?Q?=A9er=FDch_Jakub?= <Serych at panska.cz>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 03:27:57 -0500 (EST)

I also encountered this behaviour of Manipulate in my notebooks. I think,
that problem of Manipulate is, that it immediatelly interrupts calculations
whenever any of the manipulators is changed and than it starts over from the
begining and this can have critical impacts in some cases. That's why it is
working nicely if the calculations are sufficiently short and idle times of
Manipulate long, as the probability, that you change the manipulator during
the calculations is small.

But if the calculation inside Manipulate lasts too long the probability of
change of some control during it is much bigger. Setting ContinuousAction ->
False may help little bit as the value of the control is updated only after
the mouse button is released and not continualy during of any manipulator
move.

But IMHO it would be nice if there is some option for noninterruptable runs
in Manipulate i.e. something like:

NonInterruptable -> 2000
 - which would mean: let the calculation inside Manipulate run without
interrupting if it lasts less then 2000 miliseconds.

Jakub