Re: Mathematica Book and Documentation

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg85693] Re: Mathematica Book and Documentation
  • From: Szabolcs Horvát <szhorvat at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 02:02:43 -0500 (EST)

David Park wrote:
> There were some postings in the 'How should I get started with Mathematica'
> thread about the lack of a printed book.
>
> In August 2007 there were postings on the question of the old book
> organization and Thomas Muench posted some code that would create a Virtual
> Mathematica Book from the documentation material. I have pasted his code at
> the end of this posting. Paste it into a blank notebook and evaluate. It
> will create a Virtual Book notebook.  One nice thing about this virtual book
> is that it has a listing of all the supplied 'standard' packages, which I
> find otherwise difficult to find.

Very useful indeed!  I missed this too the first time it was posted.

These contributions shouldn't be left to sink to the bottom of the
google groups archive.  They should be at least posted to a web page,
maybe to library.wolfram.com if there is nothing better.  (But a "real"
community website, one with a lower participation barrier, would be even
better.)