Re: Mathematica Book and Documentation

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg85673] Re: [mg85516] Mathematica Book and Documentation
  • From: Selwyn Hollis <sh2.7183 at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 01:52:24 -0500 (EST)

On Feb 13, 2008, at 4:14 AM, David Park wrote:

> I do not think an actual printed book is that useful with the new
> Mathematica 6 because it is impossible to reproduce dynamic behavior
> on a
> static printed page. The world changes and the elderly can adapt as
> well as
> the young. We've had more practice.

That's an excellent point.

I would add that, since Mathematica has become so large (and dynamic)
that a complete traditional book is no longer practical, it seems to
me that a traditional reference book on the core language alone would
be of great value. Such a book could enable the beginner to make good
use of the new-style complete documentation. (Perhaps publication of
such a book will coincide with the long-rumored release of the core
language?)

Selwyn Hollis