.NET/Link: Explicitly define data type to be sent to .NET object?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg85675] .NET/Link: Explicitly define data type to be sent to .NET object?
  • From: heiko <heiko.damerau.news at web.de>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 01:53:26 -0500 (EST)

Hello,

    To get some data from Mathematica to a .NET object, I need to
avoid confusion between different integer or real data types in
Mathematica and C++. Is it somehow possible to explicitly define the
type of a variable being sent from Mathematica to C++?

    Some more detailed description of the problem: The .NET object
contains several overloaded methods for different data types, e.g.
void insert(SByte value), void insert(Int16 value), void insert(Int32
value), void insert(Int64 value), etc. When I now send integer data
from Mathematica to the object using object at insert[...] the data is
apparently always sent to the insert(Int64 value) method; even if the
integer in Mathematica only contains a value from 0 to 255. This is,
however, not the method I need to call, but e.g. void insert(SByte
value). As I haven't written the .NET library myself, I cannot just
change the names of the methods inside.

    How can I tell .NET/Link in Mathematica that I want the integer/
real data in Mathematica to be transferred to a specific integer or
real data type in C++?

    Thanks a lot in advance for any help!

Best regards,
Heiko