Some interaction in Mathematica 6.0

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg85781] Some interaction in Mathematica 6.0
  • From: kishkin <kishkin at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 05:00:25 -0500 (EST)

Hello!

Just a little question. Here's some code:

-----------
matrix = Import["C: \\my_file.xls"]; <- import tables
matrix = matrix[[1]] <- we need only the first one and we printing
this table
-----------

What I want to do is insert InputField where I would be able to type a
filename and two lines above will be evaluated automatically.

I think there should be something like this:
-----------
InputField[Dynamic[matrixFile], String];

Dynamic[
 matrix = Import[matrixFile];
 matrix = matrix[[1]]
]
-----------

This works almost fine. There's a feeling that the output (the one
with the table) re-counts continuously. Nothing changes but processor
is busy. Not good.

I think that the problem is in the second line: matrix = matrix[[1]],
but I do not know exactly what actually causing the problem.

Haven't found anything in the documentation.

Here is the similar example (at least I think it's similar) which
works totally fine:
-----------
x = 1;
y = 2;

Dynamic[
 j = {x + y, x + y};
 j = j[[1]]
]

That would be really great if anyone could say something about this
problem.

Thanks in advance,
Mike.