Re: Branch Cuts and NDSolve

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg85865] Re: Branch Cuts and NDSolve
  • From: "David Park" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 07:42:03 -0500 (EST)

Alex,

The Presentations package from my web site (cost $50) has the structure and
routine:

Multivalues[memoryset,symbolicset,var,permutations] holds the data for
evaluating multifunctions with memory of the last evaluation. It is used in
conjuction with CalculateMultivalues and preserves a continuity of root
values.

CalculateMultivalues[memorydata][z] will calculate and set a new set of
values for the expression in memorydata, which must be a Multivalues
expression. It will then return {newvalues,permutation used}.

I haven't tried using this inside of NDSolve, and don't know if there would
be problems, but if you gave me a simple set of equations I would try it.
You would probably just use First@First@CalculateMultivalues[memorydata][z]
to track a single solution.

I've used this very successfully in continuously tracking a function value
on a Riemann surface by dragging a locator around. The whole point of a
Riemann surface is that a multifunction is single valued and continuous at
all points of the surface.

--
David Park
djmpark at comcast.net