Re: How to import a Matlab mat-file

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg85906] Re: How to import a Matlab mat-file
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 04:28:47 -0500 (EST)

On 2/26/08 at 7:48 AM, Kevin.McCann at umbc.edu (Kevin J. McCann) wrote:

>Kevin J. McCann wrote: I have some data that I received from a
>colleague that is a rather large  mat file. "Data.mat". The file was
>generated with Matlab 2007b.

Per the documentation that can be found at ref/format/MAT,
Import can deal with MAT files produced by version 4 and 5 of
Matlab. Possibly this is the issue? If the default save format
of the version your colleague is using differers from what
Import expects, that would account for your difficulty.

The phrasing in the documentation for the MAT format used by
Mathematica implicitly assumes later versions of Matlab will
create either level 4 or level 5 MAT files. It does not and
cannot guarantee later versions of Matlab by default create such files.