Re: How to import a Matlab mat-file

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg85892] Re: How to import a Matlab mat-file
  • From: mcmcclur at unca.edu
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 04:21:32 -0500 (EST)

On Feb 26, 6:49 am, "Kevin J. McCann" wrote:
> I have some data that I received from a colleague that
> is a rather large  mat file. "Data.mat". The file was
> generated with Matlab 2007b.

Mathematica 6.0.1 cannot import version 7 .mat files.
Ideally, your colleague should export the files
using the following syntax:
>> save -v6 Data.mat;

If that is not an option, you can download Octave, an
open source Matlab clone, from http://www.octave.org/.
You can then read the .mat file into Octave and save
it in the correct format via:
>> load Data.mat;
>> save -v6 Data2.mat;

Mark