Version 6 graphics can be painfully slow

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg84822] Version 6 graphics can be painfully slow
  • From: Szabolcs Horvát <szhorvat at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 03:20:38 -0500 (EST)

In some cases, version 6 graphics can be painfully slow.  Consider this
example:

data = Table[{Random[], Random[]}, {100000}];
Graphics[{PointSize[0.002], Point /@ data}, AspectRatio -> Automatic] //
Show

This used to work fine in version 5.2, but it takes forever to complete
in version 6.0.1.  I have a dataset with about 250 000 points that I
would like to plot, so this problem is really annoying ...

The strange thing is that as soon as the graphic appears, resizing is
fast and works fine (especially with antialiasing disabled).  So it is
not the /drawing/ itself that takes so long.

I really hope that these problems will be fixed in 6.1, but until then,
does anyone have a suggestion for speeding this up?

(At the moment I temporarily switch back to << Version5`Graphics`)

Szabolcs