Re: Version 6 graphics can be painfully slow

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg84844] Re: [mg84822] Version 6 graphics can be painfully slow
  • From: Carl Woll <carlw at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 22:59:07 -0500 (EST)

Szabolcs Horvát wrote:

>In some cases, version 6 graphics can be painfully slow.  Consider this
>example:
>
>data = Table[{Random[], Random[]}, {100000}];
>Graphics[{PointSize[0.002], Point /@ data}, AspectRatio -> Automatic] //
>Show
>
>This used to work fine in version 5.2, but it takes forever to complete
>in version 6.0.1.  I have a dataset with about 250 000 points that I
>would like to plot, so this problem is really annoying ...

Use Point[data] instead of Point/@data, and the speed will improve
greatly (around 90 times on my machine).

I don't know all the details here, but basically, graphics work by
having the kernel send information to the front end that the front end
then renders. By using Point[data], you are sending a much smaller
amount of data to the front end since data is packed, but Point/@data is
not. Also, if the front end gets a list of Point objects, it must do
additional processing that is avoided if you instead give a Point object
containing a list of points.

So, the rule of thumb to follow is to try to always use a single Point,
Line, Polygon, etc. primitive instead of a list of such primitives.

Carl Woll
Wolfram Research