Mathematica into generic code?

Hello.
I'm interested in exploring and developing ideas in Mathematica and then implementing them in another "more formal" language.
Python, Java, C, I don't know; but is that something that is normally done? If so, does anyone have any good reference links or cheat-sheets they'd be willing to share? I guess I'm looking for ways to turn a specific Mathematica function into more generic computer code.
Thanks for any help.