Re: Export PDF plot or Save Selection As -- big troubles with Illustrator

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg90249] Re: Export PDF plot or Save Selection As -- big troubles with Illustrator
  • From: Steve Gray <stevebg at roadrunner.com>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 06:12:36 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 08:43:39 +0000 (UTC), Bill Rowe
<readnews at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>On 6/25/08 at 6:29 AM, siegman at stanford.edu (AES) wrote:
>
>>Create a combined Plot/ListPlot in 6 using Show having some lines
>>with their Thickness[] increased, some points with their PointSize[]
>>increased.
>
>>Export plot as PDF or Select either the plot itself or the complete
>>cell and Save As Selection. Open saved file in Acrobat; it looks
>>fine (though document size is not what I want; it's just big enough
>>to enclose the plot, and I'd like letter size).
>
>>Open same file in Illustrator CS 11.0.0 on Mac (only way I know to
>>change document or artboard size of a PDF file).  Plot looks
>>horrible: Line thicknesses are hugely thickened (though axes and
>>frame seem OK); point sizes, oddly, seem OK; text size for tick
>>labelsseems shrunken.

[snip]

I tried to fix up for publication an image that Mathematica made with
Graphics3D. I wanted to add and change things that are hard or
impossible to do in Mathematica. It was a hopeless mess, with several thousand
vector elements. Then I realized that the lighting, shading, and
hidden element algorithms made the vector output extremely
complicated. I finally used a bitmap that I made with PrintScreen or
the equivalent, and traced over the whole thing (that is, made a new
drawing) with Corel Draw, which is similar to AI. It was
time-consuming and limited - good perspective effects are very
difficult to get this way - but I had no other choice that I know of.
Mathematica should have a Simple EPS output mode or the equivalent.