Re: Printing, WYSIWYG, and Window Magnification?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg90356] Re: Printing, WYSIWYG, and Window Magnification?
  • From: Bob F <deepyogurt at gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 05:06:16 -0400 (EDT)

On Jul 2, 3:31 am, AES <sieg... at stanford.edu> wrote:
> The core question here is how I can have what appears on my screen
> (using 6.0 on a Mac) be a WYSIWYG display of what I'll get if I Print a
> notebook (so far as linebreaks, figure widths, and most everything else
> is concerned), while retaining a 125% or 150% magnification in the
> window.
>
> I need the 125% to 150% Window Magnification setting in the normal
> Screen Environment ->  Working mode to work comfortably on my display
> and with my eyeballs.  But if I Print what I see there, what I get on
> the paper has very different line breaks and so on.  What's printed doe=
> seem to match what I see using Screen Environment ->  Printout mode --
> except I can't really "see" that mode, because Window Magnification no
> longer seems to work.
>
> ???

What if you created a PDF file from within Mathematica (File/Save AS/
PDF)? But before this you need to create a large custom page in
Mathematica via File/Printing Settings/Page Setup -- then under Paper
Size create a custom paper size large enough to get whatever you want
to print on one page. Then make sure this custom page is selected
before doing the "file/save as/PDF" and Mathematica should not do as
many unexpected changing of things.

I did this for a really wide notebook and the result came out the same
as my screen looked. Then open the file with a PDF reader (Acrobat,
Preview on a Mac, etc) and it looked just like it did on the
Mathematica screen. You could then print this on a large format
plotter/printer and things should come out as large (or as small) as
you want depending on what options were selected (fit to page, tile
large pages, percent magnification, etc) inside Acrobat (I was using
Acrobat Pro, so am not sure if the regular Acrobat Reader program has
the same capabilities).

So maybe Mathematica is more WYSIWIG than you might think ? ;-)

-Bob