Display[ ] renewed?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg90378] Display[ ] renewed?
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 02:23:36 -0400 (EDT)

I'd like to ask what if any ways are available in addition to Print[] to
make a sequence of tested and functioning notebook Input cells produce
exactly the same sequence of displayed Output cells when these Input
cells are merged and wrapped into a Do[] loop?

I'm supposing the straightforward answer is, ''Make the last expression
in each of these individual Input cells be a 'Print[---];' statement
that produces the desired output''; but I'm asking if there are other
solutions?

[If you want a more specific query, suppose I've coded and tested a set
of compound expressions -- let's call them cell1, cell2, etc., since
each one of them is located by itself in a separate notebook cell.  Each
such cell, when evaluated by itself, produces and displays in an output
cell a graphic, or a Table, or some other visible output that I'm happy
with.  These cells may depend on a common global variable and some fixed
global parameters, but are independent enough of each other that if they
are arranged in any order in a notebook and executed, each cell produces
the same output as in any other sequence.  What further coding is
required to merge these Input cells into a single compound expression
and wrap this expression in a Do[ ] loop so that each execution of the
loop produces the same set of *separate* Output cells as if the initial
Input cells.]