Running programs from the command line in Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg90755] Running programs from the command line in Mathematica
  • From: Josh Burkart <jburkart at ucdavis.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 05:56:58 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

Basically, I would like to run the following command from Mathematica:

idl /users/burkart/idlpro/autoexportdata.bat

If I type this command into a terminal (I'm running Mac OSX Leopard), it works perfectly well. However, if I try the same thing using Mathematica's Run[] command, it does not execute and I get the following result:

In[9]:= Run["idl /users/burkart/idlpro/autoexportdata.bat"]

Out[9]= 32512

The error code Run[] produces is the same every time and I don't know what it means (might be OS-specific). The command, when executed from the terminal, is designed to self-quit after finishing. Is there some way to do what I'm trying to do?

Thanks in advance,
Josh Burkart