Bizarre Running Times

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg89302] Bizarre Running Times
  • From: "Erin Noel" <enoel2 at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 00:41:40 -0400 (EDT)

Hey,

I have a program that imports data from Excel and then uses that data
throughout. When the Excel file has only 10 rows, the total running time is
90 seconds. As I duplicate these rows in the Excel input file the running
time (expectedly) increases. At 15 rows, running time is 106 seconds,
increasing steadily up to 432 seconds with 99 rows. However, when i add a
100th row, overall running time oddly drops down to 135 seconds, then
continues increasing from there with the addition of more rows in a similar
fashion to the timing increase when the number of rows was less than 100.
This concerns me because I wonder if my program isn't running some of its
loops correctly or something. But then at the same time it seems a big
coincidence that this drop would occur right at 100 rows. Basically, I am
utterly confused and would very much appreciate any insight anyone may have
into what's going on. Thank you so much in advance.

Erin