Re: Why don't my plots appear? My 5.2 code no longer works correctly

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg89379] Re: Why don't my plots appear? My 5.2 code no longer works correctly
  • From: Jean-Marc Gulliet <jeanmarc.gulliet at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2008 03:01:22 -0400 (EDT)

Charlie Brummitt wrote:

> I am running into difficulties with Plot. Some code of mine that worked in
> 5.2 no longer works correctly in 6.0.2.0. Specifically, no plots appear
> whenever Plot (or Plot3D or DensityPlot or ListPlot) is called within a
> function that I have defined.

[snip]

The graphic engine has been completely redesigned in version 6.xx.
Graphs are no longer a side effect of the plotting function; on the
contrary, they are first class objects. In other words, the graph is the
output. The semi-column, as previously in v5.2, prevents the result of
an evaluation to be displayed, so evaluating

     Plot[Sin[x], {x, 0, 2 Pi}];

yields no output. You must use

     Plot[Sin[x], {x, 0, 2 Pi}]

for a single expression, or use a print statement if the plot occurs
within a compound expression:

     Print[Plot[Sin[x], {x, 0, 2 Pi}]]

Regards,
-- Jean-Marc