RevolutionPlot3D and cylindircal-mirror anamorphic-art in Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg89460] RevolutionPlot3D and cylindircal-mirror anamorphic-art in Mathematica
  • From: "Jose Luis Gomez" <jose.luis.gomez at itesm.mx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 03:40:21 -0400 (EDT)

Dear group

Based on code by Andrew Moylan (see for example message mg87226 in this
forum) and an original idea by my colleague Raul Gomez-Castillo, I have
created a small tutorial to reproduce cylindrical-mirror anamorphic-art in
Mathematica:

http://homepage.cem.itesm.mx/lgomez/cylmirror/cylmirror.html

http://homepage.cem.itesm.mx/lgomez/cylmirror/cylmirror.nb

Furthermore, I updated an old SurfaceOfRevolution tutorial to the new
RevolutionPlot3D command. In this tutorial, a Coca-Cola bottle must be
created with the revolution plot generated from a piece-wise defined
function. My students asked many many times about the possibility of
plotting the Coca Cola name on the surface of the "bottle". This is included
now in the updated version:

http://homepage.cem.itesm.mx/lgomez/chess6/activity.htm

http://homepage.cem.itesm.mx/lgomez/chess6/cocasix.nb

I hope you find them useful and fun. Let me know your students' results if
you use them.

Jose

Mexico