Determine brightness of colour/Convert to GrayLevel

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg89485] Determine brightness of colour/Convert to GrayLevel
  • From: "Szabolcs HorvÃt" <szhorvat at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 07:14:25 -0400 (EDT)

Colours have several representations, such as RGBColor, CMYKColor,
GrayLevel, etc.

Is there a way to convert between these representations?  More
specifically is there a way to convert a colour to GrayLevel?  I would
like to determine the "brightness" of a colour to decide whether to
display text in black or in white on top of it.

Also, is there a way to convert a colour to some canonical
representation?  A workaround I found is Lighter[colour, 0], which
converts to RGBColor, but I was hoping that there exists a function
meant specifically for conversion (and not
blending/lightening/darkening).