Re: Determine brightness of colour/Convert to GrayLevel

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg89505] Re: Determine brightness of colour/Convert to GrayLevel
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 03:18:18 -0400 (EDT)

On 6/10/08 at 7:14 AM, szhorvat at gmail.com (Szabolcs Horv=C3=A1t) wrote:

>Colours have several representations, such as RGBColor, CMYKColor,
>GrayLevel, etc.

>Is there a way to convert between these representations?  More
>specifically is there a way to convert a colour to GrayLevel?

The function you want is ToColor. For example,

In[2]:= ToColor[ColorData[1][1], GrayLevel]

Out[2]= GrayLevel[0.283193]

>Also, is there a way to convert a colour to some canonical
>representation?

Doesn't RGBColor satisfy your need for a canonical
representation? That is it seems to me a canonical
representation of a color would simply be a specification of all
colors in a single color space which is certainly satisfied by
using RGBColor.