Re: Nested Grids

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg89634] Re: Nested Grids
  • From: Albert Retey <awnl at arcor.net>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 06:37:40 -0400 (EDT)

David Park wrote:
> Nested Grids would seem to be a very useful construct because subportions of
> a large grid could be independently developed. However, I have been studying
> the tutorial/GridsRowsAndColumns and it has only one example and that
> example hides a defect. Here is the slightly modified example with Frames
> added for all elements:
>
> Grid[{{Grid[{{a, b}, {c, d}}, Frame -> All, Background -> Orange],
>    e}, {f, g}},
>  Frame -> All]
>
> The problem is that the nested Grid does not fill its space. If we use
> Dividers -> Central, they also do not fill to the edges of the containing
> item. It seems that we need something like an ImageMargins option, but that
> is not available. Is there an easy method to get nested grids to fill their
> space in the enclosing grid? Is there a hard way?

I think that probably Spacings is the options which does what you need,
but it does so for all entries which doesn't look nice by default, so
you need some extra tuning for some of them. Also there seems to be a
small area on the bottom which is not colored orange, at least for me
with this example:

Grid[{{
   Grid[{{a, b}, {c, d}}, Dividers -> Center, Background -> Orange],
   e},
  {f, g}
  },
 Spacings -> {0, 0},