Re: WorldPlot and excel data

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg89801] Re: WorldPlot and excel data
  • From: Jean-Marc Gulliet <jeanmarc.gulliet at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 05:28:38 -0400 (EDT)

DBK wrote:

> This should be simple but I'm stumped. I am just trying to read in
> country names (column 5) and associated colors (column 5). The color
> column is just a single column of Black, Black, White, Red etc. Below
> is my code and the error it generates. Any ideas what I am doing
> wrong?
>
> << WorldPlot`
> remotemap = Import["remote.xls"][[1]];
> remotemap1 = remotemap[[All, 5]]
> remotemap2 = remotemap[[All, 4]]
> finalmap = WorldPlot[{remotemap1, remotemap2}]
>
> WorldPlot::badshades: WorldPlot shading \
> {Black,Black,Black,Black,Black,Black,Black,Black,Black,Black,<<159>>}
> \
> is not valid. Shading should consist of a list of Mathematica color \
> primitives such as RGBColor or Hue, or of a function that generates \
> such colors when applied to country names.

You should post a working example that can be evaluated by others and
that generates above mentioned error. (Your version of Mathematica might
help too.)

The following works as expected on my system.

     << WorldPlot`
     remotemap1 = {"Canada", "Mexico"};
     remotemap2 = {Orange, Black};
     finalmap = WorldPlot[{remotemap1, remotemap2}]
     $Version

     [... nice orange and black graphic deleted ...]

     "6.0 for Mac OS X x86 (64-bit) (February 7, 2008)"

Regards,
-- Jean-Marc