display Floor in StandardForm

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg90122] display Floor in StandardForm
  • From: Peter Breitfeld <phbrf at>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 04:51:03 -0400 (EDT)

In TraditionalForm Floor[x] is displayed as \[LeftFloor]x\[RightFloor]
in both of the following cases

(1) Evaluate Floor[x] then Output in pretty form
(2) Entering Floor[x] in an InputCell an then Cell/Convert to

Now I tried to mimic this behavior for StandardForm. I did

Unprotect[Floor, Ceiling];
Format[Floor[x_/;!NumericQ[x]], StandardForm] :=
     DisplayForm[RowBox[{"\[LeftFloor]", x, "\[RightFloor]"}]]

The case (1) above now works even with complicated expressions and
lists, but case (2) replaces Floor[x] with DisplayForm[...]

Is there a possibility to make it work as in TraditionalForm?

Gruss Peter
Peter Breitfeld, Bad Saulgau, Germany --