Re: A set of several questions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg90146] Re: A set of several questions
  • From: Bob F <deepyogurt at gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 04:55:37 -0400 (EDT)

On Jun 28, 3:58 am, Aaron Fude <aaronf... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 1. How does one switch between windows within Mathematica. Ctrl-Tab
> does not seem to work.

Sounds like you're beginning the journey into Mathematica land -- have
fun!!

On a Mac OS X system you can do a Command-` (Apple and backtick at the
same time) to cycle between the windows of one application. On a
Windows system you can use CTRL-F6 (Control key and F6 key at the same
time), On the Mac this cycles between notebook windows and
Documentation Center windows, and Find window and Messages window and
every window except Palettes I think (on Windows the Find window is
not included in the cycle) ...

Another handy thing I do often is having several notebooks I wish to
open at once for a project -- have a notebook that opens them all at
once, at positions and visibilities of your choice. Say for example
you had a project with 5 notebooks, 2 of which you wanted visible and
three opened but minimized for quickly getting at them with the
Command-`. In the "master.nb" file you could have something like the
following in one cell (this is on a Mac so on a Windows system the
first function would be a bit different and this function is only
needed if you don't have your notebooks in one of the standard
directories that Mathematica knows to look in):

docpath =   ToFileName[{"/Volumes", "bob", "Documents",
"Mathematica"}, "Notebooks"];
nb1 = NotebookOpen[ToFileName[docpath, "Notebook1.nb"],
  WindowMargins -> {{10, Automatic}, {Automatic, 0}},
  WindowSize -> {957, 786}]
nb2 = NotebookOpen[ToFileName[docpath, "Notebook2.nb"],
  WindowMargins -> {{-1670, Automatic}, {1, Automatic}},
  WindowSize -> {961, 418}]
nb3 = NotebookOpen[ToFileName[docpath, "Notebook3.nb"],
  WindowMargins -> {{10, Automatic}, {Automatic, 0}},
  WindowSize -> {957, 786}, Visible -> True]
FrontEndTokenExecute[ nb3, "WindowMiniaturize"]
nb4 = NotebookOpen[ToFileName[docpath, "Notebook4.nb"],
  WindowMargins -> {{10, Automatic}, {Automatic, 0}},
  WindowSize -> {957, 786}, Visible -> True]
FrontEndTokenExecute[ nb4, "WindowMiniaturize"]
nb5 = NotebookOpen[ToFileName[docpath, "Notebook5.nb"],
  WindowMargins -> {{10, Automatic}, {Automatic, 0}},
  WindowSize -> {957, 786}, Visible -> True]
FrontEndTokenExecute[ nb5, "WindowMiniaturize"]

The positions on the notebook calls above will of course not be what
you want. Put your notebook windows in the position you want and then
use the "Option Inspector" to look at the size and position/margins of
each (look at "WindowSize" and "WindowMargins" variables to see what
they are and then change the numbers in the "master.nb" file for them
to come up in the desired position from then on.

Hope this makes sense and have fun with Mathematica. The
"WindowMiniaturize" trick is something that I learned here on this
newsgroup about a year and a half ago. Am sure you will get your other
questions answered as this is a great group of people to ask questions
of.

-Bob

ps -- if you do have a Mac and want a very good keyboard shortcut
summary for Mac OS X see http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1343

pps -- I found a Windows keyboard shortcut summary at
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/126449, but the CTRL-F6 was not there
but at http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0%2C4149%2C64601%2C00.asp instead