how insert hyperlink to doc paclet in ordinary notebook?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg86151] how insert hyperlink to doc paclet in ordinary notebook?
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 04:42:35 -0500 (EST)

I'm trying to create, in an ordinary Mathematica 6.0.1 notebook, a
hyperlink to a particular documentation paclet, namely, the tutorial
about the Combinatorica package.

I began by using menu item Insert > Hyperlink and then edited the
ButtonData.  I tried each of the following three ways, but none works;
each just opens the main Documentation Center page:

(1) The hyperlink target is
"paclet:Combinatorica/tutorial/Combinatorica", just like what is used in
Documentation Center pages.  The actual expression in my notebook is:

Cell[TextData[{
  ButtonBox["tutorial",
   BaseStyle->"Link",
   ButtonData->{"paclet:Combinatorica/tutorial/Combinatorica", None}]
}], "Text"]

(2) The hyperlink target is the complete path to the file, as created
using ToFileName.  The actual expression in my notebook is:

Cell[TextData[{
  ButtonBox["tutorial",
   BaseStyle->"Link",

ButtonData->{ToFileName[{$InstallationDirectory,"Documentation","English",
"Packages","Combinatorica","Documentation","English","Tutorials"},
"Combinatorica.nb"], None}]
}], "Text"]

(3) The hyperlink target is crated by the function
Documentation`HelpLookup.  The actual expression in my notebook is:

Cell[TextData[ButtonBox["tutorial",
  BaseStyle->"Link",
  ButtonData->{
Documentation`HelpLookup["paclet:Combinatorica/tutorial/Combinatorica"],
    None}]], "Text"]

What's wrong with those?

I finally did get the following to work, although this involves drastic
editing of what is inserted by the Insert > Hyperlink menu item.

Cell[TextData[ButtonBox["tutorial",
  ButtonEvaluator->Automatic, ButtonFunction->
(Documentation`HelpLookup["paclet:Combinatorica/tutorial/Combinatorica"])
]], "Text"]

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305