differential equation problem with Weierstrass elliptic function

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg86298] differential equation problem with Weierstrass elliptic function
  • From: Roman <rschmied at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 02:34:18 -0500 (EST)

Hi,
I am trying to solve the following differential equation:

DSolve[y''[x] == -y[x]^2 Cos[x], y[x], x]

Mathematica 6.0 for Linux x86 (64-bit) gives me a solution involving
the WeierstrassP function. It is easy to check that the given solution
is wrong (just substitute back into the differential equation and plot
for some random coefficients C[1] and C[2]).

(1) Can you help me solve this equation?
(2) Is this a bug in Mathematica?

Thanks!
Roman.