Re: 4D plot visuatization

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg86317] Re: 4D plot visuatization
  • From: "David Park" <djmpark at>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2008 05:42:10 -0500 (EST)

How about something like the following:

f[t_, g_] := t/g
fpdf[t_, g_] = PDF[NormalDistribution[2.74, 0.787], f[t, g]]

Plot3D[f[t, g], {t, -200, 1000}, {g, 120, 250},
 Mesh -> None,
 PlotPoints -> 50,
 ColorFunctionScaling -> False,
 ColorFunction ->
  Function[{x, y, z},
   ColorData["DarkRainbow"][Rescale[fpdf[x, y], {0, .506915}]]],
 AxesLabel -> {t, g, f}

In a case like this it is often nice to have multiple coordinated displays.
I'm not going to take the time to do one here. One idea would be to show
your t-g domain with a Locator in one display. Then use the plot above as a
second display with the t-g point indicated on the plot. Then as a third
display, have a column of the actual data values: t =..., g = ..., t/g = ...
and fpdf = .... Then a reader of the display could actually move around and
not only see the graphics but also see the precise numerical values at each
point. Such a display packs much more information than a static plot.

David Park
djmpark at