Re: Re: Update 6.0.2

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg86519] Re: [mg86472] Re: [mg86413] Update 6.0.2
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 04:29:53 -0500 (EST)

Your complaint seems born of some frustration that you didn't have the
latest (and greatest?) at the same moment, if not before, anybody else did.

I don't know that this roll-out is being handled in any significantly
different way from previous ones, or that is is "not being handled very
well."

The public announcement about 6.0.2 was made in this group on 29
February 2008.  Some folks apparently received notification to download
soon thereafter (and of course no doubt some had seen it earlier, in
beta).  I, a Premier Service subscriber, received an e-mail with the
download link on March 10.

I don't see any "severe internal problems" here.  Yes, we're all anxious
to have the latest version as soon as possible (or at least most of us
are), but I'd prefer the standard WRI method of spreading out the
availability over a few days to either their (1) making it instantly
available to everybody at the same time and thereby clogging the
download servers, or (2) buying more server capacity and/or hiring more
personnel and consequently charging more for the product to cover the costs.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305