RE: Intermediate Evaluation in FindMinimum

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg86657] RE: [mg86617] Intermediate Evaluation in FindMinimum
  • From: "Ausman, Kevin" <ausman at okstate.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 04:40:28 -0500 (EST)

> Your chiSquare is having trouble when passed something it cannot fully
> evaluate. Instead try:
>
> chiSquare[xpt : {_?NumericQ ..}, mdl : {_?NumericQ ..}] :=
>  chiSquare[xpt, mdl] = Total[(xpt - mdl)^2]
>
> Daniel Lichtblau
> Wolfram Research

I was afraid that was going to be the suggestion. Unfortunately, when I
do that I cannot use the Levenberg-Marquardt method (FindMinimum doesn't
recognize chiSquare as being of the appropriate format), and the other
methods don't seem to converge well for my data/model combination. I
tried to find a way to specify the residuals manually to force it to use
Levenberg-Marquardt, but then I end up with the same problem that I had
when chiSquare wasn't doing the parameter-checking.

I will go back to my earlier plan of writing up the full problem and
posting that instead of a simplified version. Hopefully I will have that
put together (and documented) within a day or so.

Kevin Ausman