Mathematica 9 is now available
Services & Resources / Wolfram Forums / MathGroup Archive
-----

MathGroup Archive 2008

[Date Index] [Thread Index] [Author Index]

Search the Archive

Re: Should I uninstall the old version before upgrading?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg86662] Re: Should I uninstall the old version before upgrading?
  • From: Nazdrovje <nazdrovje at gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 00:21:24 -0500 (EST)
  • References: <fr5e7d$occ$1@smc.vnet.net> <200803121028.FAA17478@smc.vnet.net>

I have 5.0 in a separate directory, but I accepted the default
directory fo the updates of 6.0. I'm not going to keep incremental
updates at the 0.01 level in seperate directories, especially since
they're half a gig each.

On Mar 14, 10:19 am, Murray Eisenberg <mur... at math.umass.edu> wrote:
> When you say you "installed 6.0.2 on top of 6.0.1", do you mean into the
> SAME $InstallationDirectory?
>
> Except when a program installer (or documentation) explicitly tells me I
> can do that, I would never do so.
>
>
>
> Helen Read wrote:
> > Murray Eisenberg wrote:
> >> Andrew Moylan wrote:
> >>> On Mar 11, 7:00 pm, =EA=CD=EA=CD <huihui.... at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>>> I want to upgrade Mathematica from v6.0 to v6.0.1. Can I just install
> >>>> the new version directly without uninstalling the old version? Should
> >>>> I uninstall the old version manually before upgrading?
>
> >>>> Thanks very much!
> >>> Yes, do uninstall first. If you don't, you may encounter problems such
> >>> as this:
>
> >>>http://groups.google.com/group/comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica/browse_...
> >>> thread/8300a97190bd0c3b/f35b55aec1ae60a3?lnk=gst&q=%24Failed+drawing+too=
> >>> ls#f35b55aec1ae60a3
> >> This is a problem that occurs only if one has moved palettes to a new
> >> location?  Because if you install 6.0.2 in an $InstallationDirectory
> >> separate from that for 6.0.1, why should it be a problem?
>
> > Evidently it's an issue with the installer.
>
> > I installed 6.0.2 on top of 6.0.1 on a fairly new XP desktop PC, and it
> > failed to put the new DrawingTools palette where it need to go. I have
> > always installed all versions of Mathematica to the default directory,
> > and have not moved the palettes (or anything else) around. The problem
> > did not occur on my (older) XP laptop. Someone from Wolfram called me on
> > the phone to get some more details, because they had not been able to
> > reproduce the issue. The suspicion, after talking to me, was that the
> > reason for the different behavior was that my laptop had had older
> > versions of Mathematica installed, whereas the first version installed
> > on the desktop was 6.0.0. WRI was able to reproduce the problem after
> > talking to me, but did not have a fix for it other than uninstalling,
> > deleting the installation directory, and reinstalling.
>
> > I didn't have the problem when I installed 6.0.2 over top of 6.0.1 on a
> > Vista machine (which also never had anything prior to v.6), so this is
> > seemingly an XP specific problem.
>
> > --
> > Helen Read
> > University of Vermont
>
> --
> Murray Eisenberg                     mur... at math.umass.edu
> Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
> Lederle Graduate Research Tower      phone 413 549-1020 (H)
> University of Massachusetts                413 545-2859 (W)
> 710 North Pleasant Street            fax   413 545-1801
> Amherst, MA 01003-9305



  • Prev by Date: Re: Substitute all known relations in result
  • Next by Date: Re: ordering of multivariate polynomial terms
  • Previous by thread: Re: Should I uninstall the old version before upgrading?
  • Next by thread: Re: Re: Should I uninstall the old version before upgrading?