Re: V.6.0.2 gripes...

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg86706] Re: V.6.0.2 gripes...
  • From: Helen Read <read at math.uvm.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 05:23:22 -0500 (EST)

David Bailey wrote:
> Helen Read wrote:
>>
>> It seems unrelated to internet access. We have quite good connections at
>> the university, and we get the Java error there all the time. I have
>> dial-up at home, and I get the Java error regardless of whether I am
>> connected.
>>
> Clearly Mathematica must only wait for so long for Java to come live, so
> a sufficient delay in starting Java will cause the problem. I am trying
> to think of ways in which your machine (is it Windows XP, which I use,
> or the dreaded Vista) might differ from mine, because so far I have
> never seen the timeout. One obvious possibility raised by the original
> post is that your virus scanner introduces some delay - maybe only the
> first time a command executes... Disconnecting both the internet and
> your virus scanner would be an interesting experiment. Failing that, I
> would try disabling any other software that you have running - again as
> an experiment. Of course, a very old and slow machine might fall foul of
> a timeout.

We are seeing this on many, many machines, some of which are quite new,
speedy dual cores. It happens with XP and Vista. It started happening
around the time we switched most of these machines from Norton
Anti-virus to NOD32, so we did initially suspect that NOD32 was
involved. It happens on machines that are still running Norton, though,
and WRI tech support insists it has nothing to do with NOD32.

--
Helen Read
University of Vermont