Re: How to consider BrowserCategories in Version 6.0?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg86716] Re: How to consider BrowserCategories in Version 6.0?
  • From: Albert Retey <awnl at arcor.net>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 05:25:15 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

> I want to embed supplementary Mathematica packages in Mathematica
> version 6.0.x and want to include the BrowserCategories.m and
> BrowserIndex.nb files in the Help system.
 >
> In version 5.2 I installed under the directory tree
> Program Files > Wolfram Research > Mathematica > 5.2 > AddOns >
> Applications >  (supplementary package eg. FuzzyLogic) > Documentation >
> English > ( .m and .nb files such as BrowserCategories.m,
> BrowserIndex.nb ...)
> Then in the Help pulldown menu there is a button "Rebuild Help Index"
> with the result that afterwards the additional information was
> accessible in the Help menu under Help Browser > Add-ons & Links.
>
> The same directory tree structure is present in version 6.0.x too.
> Hence, I could insert in the subdirectory "Applications" -  or even
> better in "ExtraPackages" - the supplementary packages  etc. I would
> like to access in version 6.0 too.  However, what I cannot find is a
> similar button which corresponds to "Rebuild Help Index" (as in version
> 5.2) to rebuild the Help Index.
>
> My question is : how can I install an external  Mathematica package so
> that the files BrowserCategories.m and BrowserIndex.nb will be
> considered in version 6.0?
>
> Thanks in advance for helpful suggestions.

You should note that the entire mechanism for searching/finding
documetation has completley changed from version 5 to version 6.
Unfortunatly the new mechanism is neither documented nor supported with
additional tools at this time. AFAIK it will be possible to create
Version 6 with the forthcoming Workbench, but up to now only some "third
party" descriptions of what has to go where are available, you can find
these in the archive of this group.

The good news is that the old help browser is still there and ready to
use. Just install your documentation as you used to and click on the
link "Installed AddOns" on the start page of the new documentation
center. If correctly installed, you should now see a link to your
version 5 style documentation which opens the old help browser. There is
no need to update the index anymore.

hth,

albert