Re: Evaluation details
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg86736] Re: Evaluation details
- From: Szabolcs Horvát <szhorvat at gmail.com>
- Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 02:50:56 -0500 (EST)
- Organization: University of Bergen
- References: <email@example.com>
Mumbo Jumbo wrote: > Hello, > > I am quite puzzled why a Mathematica statement > x=x+1; > causes infinite recursion. Since the ducumentation states that the lhs of > this statement is not evaluated, it seems to me that the evaluation of the > rhs should not lead to recursive evaluation. > TIA, Yuri. Mathematica evaluates expressions for as long as there are rules applying to them. x = x+1 evaluates to x+1, which then evaluates to x+1+1, etc. The ; only prevents printing, not evaluation.