Re: symbolic evaluation

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg86982] Re: symbolic evaluation
  • From: Jean-Marc Gulliet <jeanmarc.gulliet at>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 03:14:37 -0500 (EST)
> I'm using Mathematica 5.1 I want to evaluate a simple equation
> symbolically, such as 7x = 14. of course the answer should be x = 14/7.
> I can't find a clear example on how to do this with a simple equation.

I am not sure whether the issue is about keeping the rational number
14/7 in its unsimplified form (Mathematica will simplify it
automatically to two). If this is the case, you could use HoldForm (at
least for simple expression). For instance,

In[1]:= Reduce[7 x == HoldForm@14]

x == --

Otherwise, you can just use Reduce, Solve, or even Simplify as in the
following examples.

In[2]:= Reduce[7 x == 14]

Out[2]= x == 2

In[3]:= Solve[7 x == 14]