submission of a new problem; NDSolve artifacts; version 6.0.1
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg86986] submission of a new problem; NDSolve artifacts; version 6.0.1
- From: "Robert M. Lurie" <RMLURIE at ALUM.MIT.EDU>
- Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 03:15:24 -0500 (EST)
- Reply-to: RMLURIE at ALUM.MIT.EDU
I have been using NDSolve as used in "Restricted Three-Body Problem in 3D" from The Wolfram Demonstrations Project http://demonstrations.wolfram.com/RestrictedThreeBodyProblemIn3D/ Using Version 6.0.1, I have modified the demonstration to show the classical planar, equal large masses (mu=1/2) cases as in Gass "Mathematica for Scientists and Engineers: Using Mathematica to do Science" Also see http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/RestrictedThree-BodyProblem.html Depending on the values, there will be lines emanating from points where orbits cross. For example at tf (final time) of 45.3, the figure below is shown. However at tf = 46 no such artifact is seen. How can NDSolve be modified to eliminate these artifacts?