Re: symbolic evaluation

Thank you all for your answers, but they all result in Mathematica "solving" the equation and giving the answer 2, which is not what I need. What I need is for Mathematica to transpose the formula giving as out put x = 14/7. I beginning to believe that mathematica can't do it because the designer didn't put that capability in it. This must be a hard concept for a computer to do. It just seems simple to me. What's wrong with "out[1]= {{x -> 14/2}}" Which output I can't seem to get.
Paul:(