Re: Mathematica notebooks the best method for technical communications (Was: Another stylesheet question)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg87025] Re: [mg86975] Mathematica notebooks the best method for technical communications (Was: Another stylesheet question)
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 04:24:14 -0500 (EST)

I agree that the persuading the academic and publishing establishment
to add Mathematica to the so called "publishing standards" is going to
be an uphill struggle and probably not worth the effort. But I do not
agree about the reasons for this and of course I totally disagree with
the final statement.

The academic establishment is one of the most conservative
"establishments" there are. The reason for this is clear: it consist
mostly of people who are oldish or quite old and thus  reluctant to
learn ways of doing this different from those that they learned in
their youth, particularly if they lie outside their own academic area.
In so called "research institutions" young people are expected and in
fact have to, if they are going to stay around, concentrate on
research and being concerned with stuff like publishing formats is not
going to get one tenure at Stanford. So naturally the people who
dominate this area are the older, tenured staff. The publishing world
is even worse. The reluctance to adopt technical innovation in
academic publishing would be a good subject for a comedy if it wasn't
so depressing in its consequences. I have also had quite a lot of
contact with this for a number of years. For example I still remember
the days when one of the leading mathematical journals started using
TeX. Even after they started it, they continued to demand that authors
submit printouts of their articles which were then retyped in TeX by a
professional typist. I think I must have been one of the earliest
Springer authors who used TeX and I remember how none of the editors
knew what it was and how much trouble I had when I wanted to modify
some of their macros. It was years after TeX had become standard for
writing mathematical research. The same thing is happening nowadays
with the transfer to electronic publishing. So I agree, the chances of
convincing the academic or publishing establishment that they should
try to adopt another format are pretty slim.

However,  there is another way, and I hope WRI is pursuing it.

A long time before TeX was adopted by journals and before most senior
academics understood how it it suppose to be pronounced, it had become
de facto standard among students and young researchers. Being young
they learn new things much faster, are much more likely to experiment
with them by themselves (so usually they do not care about printed
manuals) and appreciate genuine innovation as oppose to hype. What
they are mostly concerned with is price and whether the things they
learn would be of advantage in their future employment. This suggest
an obvious strategy for WRI: ignore the academic establishment and
concentrate on the students and their likely future employers. I don't
know much about the latter but from the statistics I have seen
Mathematica is doing not to badly in this area, at least compared with
its major competitors. As for students, what is obviously needed
access to cheap copies, other than through piracy (though I hope WRI
is not completely blind to the benefits it gets from that latter
phenomenon as long as it is restricted to students). By the way, the
current system of "student versions" isn't really sufficient since it
requires universities to have site licenses, which in turn requires
winning over "the establishment". A time limited cheap student version
available to any student, whether at an institution that has a site
license or not, would make an enormous contribution to the adoption of
Mathematica, and would make opinions like that at the end of the OPs
post largely irrelevant.

Finally, I would like to point out that "publishing standards" are not
set in stone. For several years I have witnessed PDF visibly loosing
ground to djvu in the mathematical preprint area. I like with many
other things I learned about it first form students, who quickly
understood its technical superiority over PDF (most of all, much
smaller file size). Now I see that a number of on-line mathematics
journals are offering djvu as an alternative to pdf.

Andrzej Kozlowski