Re: Re: Mathematica notebooks the best method

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg87048] Re: [mg87025] Re: [mg86975] Mathematica notebooks the best method
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 01:16:15 -0500 (EST)

djvu vs. pdf: no big deal.  Tex vs. Mathematica: BIG deal!

With djvu and pdf, it's merely a matter of the final format in which the
document appears and is disseminated.

With (La)TeX and Mathematica, there's a crucial difference in the entire
authoring process.  Among other things:

   (1) (La)TeX concentrates upon the logical structure of the document,
whereas Mathematica from the start involves the actual appearance of the
document.

   (2) Typing math markup is typically quicker in (La)TeX than in
Mathematica, as it avoids Control-key sequences (unless one is using an
editor where such sequences are used as shortcuts) or at least uses
shorter keystroke-only sequences.

   (3) Mathematica allows live calculations in the document itself,
whereas TeX does not (except of the most primitive kind).  Exception: a
specialized TeX+CAS system.

   (4) Mathematica creates graphics of all sorts directly in the
document, whereas with the exception of a limited number of native or
package add-on graphics types, graphics must be imported into a TeX
document from an external source (such as Mathematica)!

There are two other another differences:

   (5) One can have an entire TeX document preparation system -- editor,
TeX engine plus packages, viewer, and converter (dvi to ps or pdf, e.g.)
-- for free.  Needless to say, Mathematica is not free.

   (6) The source code for TeX and many or most of the supporting
utilities is open source; this is certainly not the case for Mathematica.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305