RE: Request for Collective Wisdom...

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg88553] RE: [mg88463] Request for Collective Wisdom...
  • From: "Ingolf Dahl" <ingolf.dahl at telia.com>
  • Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 04:14:03 -0400 (EDT)

My humble contribution to the collective wisdom:
Do not forget to tell them about how to trace errors. The simplest way is
often to put print expressions into the code:

Print["localizing text", var];

to check a variable value. If you tell them about pure functions, a variant
of this theme is often useful. The expression

(Print["text ", #]; #) &@

can often be inserted inside expressions in appropriate places, without the
need of setting any variable value. It is a good example of the use of pure
functions and of printing as "side effect", not disturbing the computational
flow. For instance

Sin[(Print["mytext ", #]; #) &@ Sin[2.]]

will print

mytext 0.909297