Re: Request for Collective Wisdom...

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg88804] Re: Request for Collective Wisdom...
  • From: David Bailey <dave at Remove_Thisdbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 06:26:51 -0400 (EDT)

Ingolf Dahl wrote:
> My humble contribution to the collective wisdom:
> Do not forget to tell them about how to trace errors. The simplest way is
> often to put print expressions into the code:
>
> Print["localizing text", var];
>
> to check a variable value. If you tell them about pure functions, a variant
> of this theme is often useful. The expression
>
> (Print["text ", #]; #) &@
>
> can often be inserted inside expressions in appropriate places, without the
> need of setting any variable value. It is a good example of the use of pure
> functions and of printing as "side effect", not disturbing the computational
> flow. For instance
>
> Sin[(Print["mytext ", #]; #) &@ Sin[2.]]
>
> will print
>
> mytext 0.909297
>
> and return
>
> 0.789072
>
> Best regards
>
> Ingolf Dahl
> ingolf.dahl at telia.com

A variant of the above is to define a function that prints out an
expression before and after evaluation separated by '=':

SetAttributes[dPrint, HoldFirst];
dPrint[x_] :=
  Module[{ans = x},
   StylePrint[SequenceForm[Unevaluated[x], "=", ans],
    Background -> RGBColor[0.6`, 1, 0.6`]]; ans]

Using this function, calling dPrint[x] will print something like:

x=42

It will also return the original answer (evaluated only once) so that it
can be nicely embedded in a bigger calculation.

Furthermore, because these debug prints come out with a light green
background, they don't get confused with other output from the program.

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk