Extending ColorData

Is there a way to extend ColorData in a way that it will integrate
nicely with the rest of the system?

E.g. define a new gradient "newGradient" so that it will get listed by
ColorData["Gradients"], it will appear in the colour schemes palette,
and DensityPlot[ ... , ColorFunction -> "newGradient"] will work.

Is this possible?