Re: Implementing a array assignment for custom data structure

Salvatore,

I am not sure I understand entirely what you are looking for, but how
about

In[1]:= mkFun[a_] := fun[a]

In[2]:= b=mkFun[1]

Out[2]= fun[1]

In[3]:= b

Out[3]= fun[1]

In[4]:= b[[1]]=2

Out[4]= 2

In[5]:= b

Out[5]= fun[2]

Oliver

On Tue, 20 May 2008, Salvatore Mangano wrote:

> Lists support a convenient syntax for element assignment:
>
> a[[i]]=v
>
> Of course this syntax is syntactic sugar for:
>
> Set[Part[a, i], v]
>

> SparseArray's have a different structure than lists but still support the same syntax.
>
> This leads me to believe that I should be able to implement a custom type (akin to SparseArray) that also allows this syntax (possibly using UpValues) but for the life of me I can't see how to accomplish this.
>
> Any ideas?

Oliver Ruebenkoenig, <ruebenko AT uni-freiburg.de>