Re: change a system of PDEs to ODEs via traveling wave

Todd,

On 21 mayo, 20:54, ToddSmith <ellipt... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>  If I have a system of PDEs in x and t, how can I change to the
> traveling wave variable xi=x-ct to get a system of ODEs?

This is an example for Burger's equation

u_t -u_xx + u u_x = 0 .

It should be easy to extend it to a system. Define the operator

burgers[u_, {x_,t_}] := D[u,x] - D[u, {x,2}] + u D[u, {x,2}]

Now

burgers[f[x - c t], {x,t}] /. x - c t -> y

gives the equation for a travelling wave with profile f[y].

Julian