Re: Adding an edge to a directed cyclic graph

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg88962] Re: [mg88908] Adding an edge to a directed cyclic graph
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 02:38:04 -0400 (EDT)

Aside from explicitly changing the embedding coordinates of vertices in
the Graph object, offhand the only ways I know to change the location of
vertices for ShowGraph by Mathematica commands are the Combinatorica
functions ShakeGraph and SpringEmbedding.  But some other methods are:
other options are:

   (1) Use GraphPlot instead of ShowGraph and then manually move the
vertex by clicking in its vicinity until you see a small graphics square
highlighted, then drag to a new position.

   (2) Use Levon Lloyd's visual graph editor, which exports in
Combinatorica Graph type form.

Undoubtedly it would not be terribly difficult to construct a Dynamic
expression that uses locators in order to create and move vertices and
edges for a graph.  This could just reproduce the behavior of Lloyd's
visual editor, so it's not clear what would be gained except that
everything could be done strictly within Mathematica.

You might find helpful the guide to Combinatorica'a graph functions (and
to the kernel's GraphPlot function) that I used for my Discrete
Structures course.  See the item "Graphs.nb" on the Files page at:

   www.math.umass.edu/Courses/Math_455_Eisenberg

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305