message: can' find notebook, but it does...

All of a sudden, when I save a new notebook to the usual
directory and later try to reopen it, I get a beep and the
message:

The file you tried to open was not found or could not be opened.

When I click "OK" -- my only option, the file opens with no
problem.  Older files in the same directory open up without
this complication.

This is just a nuisance but I'd sure like to know what is
going on -- it may get worse.

I'm running V6.02 under XP.

Any clues greatly appreciated.