Re: LeastSquares using LinearProgramming?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg89056] Re: LeastSquares using LinearProgramming?
  • From: Jens-Peer Kuska <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 03:57:54 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

you question is

"Is ||m.x-b||^2 linear."

and it is not.
Linear programming usual search the simplex build up
from the constrains and searches only the corners
of that simplex. Because for a linear problem c.x the
optimal value *must* be on the corners of the simplex of the
constrains. For a quadratic (that's why it is called "least squares")
this is not true.

Regards
   Jens