Re: Re: Range of Use of Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg89128] Re: [mg89061] Re: Range of Use of Mathematica
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 06:23:24 -0400 (EDT)

And this is one more place where well-conceived and well-executed
introductory BOOKS about Mathematica 6, or applying Mathematatica 6 to
specific subject areas, can help.

So far, and so far as I am aware, we have only one instance of this:
(1) Lynch's "Dynamical Systems with Applications using Mathematica", and
(2) the additional Mathematica 6 notebooks to accompany Shaw's "Complex
Analysis with Mathematica".

Now if some of the old pre-version 6 books were updated or, preferably
perhaps, new ones written, e.g., on:  calculus; differential equations;
linear algebra; discrete math including combinatorics & graph theory.
Even a new Glynn & Gray, "Beginner's Guide..."!

My impression is that in (much) earlier Mathematica versions, WRI went
out of its way to encourage and foster such 3rd party books (some of
which were, in fact, written by or co-authored by insiders).  Either
this is not being done or, if it is, there's a considerable lag in such
efforts seeing the light of day.

I remain convinced that some of the early success of Mathematica was the
existence of such books, beyond the intrinsic value of the software
itself.  And I continue to hope that the seemingly print-averse,
pro-electronic enthusiasts within WRI do not totally dominate the
direction this takes.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305