Re: Frustration with opaque functions in Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg93286] Re: Frustration with opaque functions in Mathematica
  • From: Aaron Fude <aaronfude at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2008 01:58:18 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

Both of the answers have missed the mark, so this is the first time in
my extensive newsgroups question asking career when I am not able to
thank the responders for their answers.

First, this equation does have a solution in terms of BesselJ's. I
have solved it by hand and it envolves only J0, J1, and J2. I should
have mentioned that in my post. My interest is in a more complicated
equation of this kind, but if Mathematica can't solve a simpler one,
there is no home for the more complicated one.

Second, the third line in the code that I posted should have
simplified to Zero rather than the long expression that it produced.
If you numerically evaluated it, you'll see that it is Zero, but
Mathematica does not know that. I mentioned in my post that I'm
looking for an analytical insight so what good would NDSolve do me?

Finally, Jens are able to figure out what MeijerG[{{1, 1}, {1/2}},
{{1, 1}, {0, 0, 0}}, r, 1/2] in terms of elementary functions is for
the links that you posted?

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron