Re: using the output from a notebook in another notebook

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg93306] Re: using the output from a notebook in another notebook
  • From: David Bailey <dave at Remove_Thisdbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 05:27:54 -0500 (EST)

Bill Rowe wrote:
> On 11/1/08 at 5:10 AM, temelt at xs4all.nl (Tugrul Temel) wrote:
>
>> I have written an extensive Mathematica code that uses up all the
>> available memory of my computer if I keep all the outputs in the
>> memory. Since I only need a small portion of the output for further
>> calculations, I want to keep that part of the output in my computer
>> so that I can repeatedly use it in other Mathematica codes.
>
>> Is there a neat way of saving part of the outputs in my computer for
>> further use in other codes?
>
> Possibly. Look at using DumpSave. This command can be used to
> write context or selected symbols to a hard drive. Later, the
> symbol or context can be restored using Get.

I would also recommend that Tugrul Temel consider first showing his code
to a local Mathematica expert. All too often, in my experience, a
calculation consumes excessive memory for spurious reasons. For example,
it is easy to end up generating symbolic expressions, such as
(Sqrt[3]+Sqrt[7])/2 where a single approximate number was required.

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk