Re: Frustration with opaque functions in Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg93319] Re: Frustration with opaque functions in Mathematica
  • From: Aaron Fude <aaronfude at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 06:14:46 -0500 (EST)

On Nov 3, 5:29 am, Jens-Peer Kuska <ku... at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  > Finally, Jens are able to figure out what MeijerG[{{1, 1}, {1/2}},
>  > {{1, 1}, {0, 0, 0}}, r, 1/2] in terms of elementary functions is for
>  > the links that you posted?
>  >

> You asked for
>     "So how can I find out what MeijerG[{{1, 1}, {1/2}},    {{1, =
1}, {0,
> 0, 0}}, r, 1/2]? really is"
>     This can mean almost every thing, is it a
>     philosophical question? And the answer would be
>     "It is nothing real, it is  pure fiction."
>
> The only way to simplify MeijerG[] would involve the usage
> of the relations you can find in the pages I have posted.
>
> And Mathematica will probably not apply all the transformations
> listed in the pages. Especial if you wish to get
> a special form of the output, Mathematica will not able to find it.
>
> It is always hard to force Mathematica to bring the result in a special
> form, but it is impossible if we don't know what you want.
>
> Regards
>    Jens

Hi Jens,

Thanks for your response.

Well, specifically what I want is to express it in terms of more
elementary functions: exp, log, r^n, Jn, etc., if that's possible.
Secondly, I want to find a way to have Mathematica simplify "r^2
D[soln, {r, 2}] + r D[soln, r] + r^2 soln - r BesselJ[1, r]" which it
must be by defnition.

Thanks again,

Aaron